Monday, August 18, 2014

Monday Must-Reads (August 18)

Photo: Linda Nylind for The Guardian
Oh my, oh my, oh my! School starts tomorrow! Routine begins tomorrow! My babies continue their journeys of Getting Smarter and Making Their Ways in The World tomorrow--seventh grade, fourth grade, and pre-K. And that's the local 411, but in national news, it's been a terrible week. Really, so bad, I don't even want to get on Facebook or listen to the radio. And, of course, all the bloggers I read are also writing about the news, which they should--someone should, and we should be Paying Attention. It's just that, sometimes, our hearts break when we pay attention, but that's a Good Thing-- even when it hurts.

Here's what I found note-worthy this week.

On Ferguson and the death of Michael Brown:
Racial bias, police brutality and the dangerous act of being black from Rage Against the Minivan.

In defense of black rage: Michael Brown, police and the American dream from Salon.com.

When Parenting Feels Like a Fool’s Errand: On the Death of Michael Brown from Stacia L. Brown.

On Race, the Benefit of Doubt, and Complicity from Rachel Held Evans.

In response to Robin Williams' suicide:
"In which depression is not your fault" from Sarah Bessey.

On consumerism vs. contentment:
"Give Me Gratitude or Give Me Debt" by Glennon Melton over at Momastery.

When you do everything right and still don't succeed:
"What I Want You To Know About Trying to Lose Weight."

On a lighter note:
13 Tips For Getting More Reading Done.  Especially #1, #2, and #6. I have quitter's guilt like no other and I need to get free. Support group anyone?

Anyone need to get their kids to pack their own lunches? I think we're heading there this year.

Blessings on your reading and processing this week, friends.

-H

No comments: