Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday Must-Reads (July 14)

Photo: Linda Nylind for The Guardian

Welcome to your Monday! I'm going a little slow due to perhaps a tiny excess in melatonin supplementation last night (Google it!). It's actually a good thing for me, meaning I slept better than I have in days. (Btw, a mom friend recently let me in on her little secret, and now melatonin is my biggest bedtime weapon with Tiny. It is freaking unbelievable how calm she gets and how few times she comes out of her room (zero!) after we tuck her in. Not that I recommend it for continual use, but it sure helps after her schedules been jacked around for days and she's running on the fumes of exhaustion's adrenaline.

Anhyoo, in interesting reads this week, I totally resonated with this article from the Huffington Post, "How to Talk to Your Daughter about Her Body."  I'm pretty scheme-y and intentional when it comes to this kind of talk and I love love love this as a starting point for thinking along these lines.

Jamie, the Very Worst Missionary, describes the summer that so many of us parents have had in: "Why We're Having a Killer Summer": "I mean, what am I supposed to do for five more weeks while the invisible man leaves dishes all over the house and pees all over the bathroom? How will I tolerate five more weeks of this bickering and butting of buttheads? Who can afford to feed these animals all day everyday for weeks on end." And, you get the idea.

Rage Against the Minivan is asking this "Question of Eternal Significance": "Would You Read Your Child's Diary?" (For the record, I prolly won't...unless I suspect drug use, criminal activity, or suicidal tendencies.")

And, on a lighter note, "How I Plan the Perfectly Imperfect Staycation." As a huge fan of staycations with young children, this gave me some new ideas and reinforced the old ones.

Have a great week and happy reading!

No comments: